It was a farewell most fitting to a queen: from the requiem mass to the funeral procession, up to the 21-gun salute. After all, she is our own version of a queen.
On the morning of August 5 I resigned myself to the idea that I will be participating in this momentous event at home, reasoning to myself that I have been among the privilege people who went to Ayala when her casket was moved from Greenhills to Manila Cathedral. My two siblings opted to go to Manila Memorial as early as 12nn (as soon as the procession started). About half past two p.m. I had this strong urge to go to Manila Memorial, which was just a couple of kilometres away from our home –my estimate is about 2 km. At around 3 pm I find myself walking my way to the park. On my way, I saw small groups of people flocking the streets. Some were families, fathers with their sons and daughters; others friends, barkadas; while others are like me... alone. But I never really felt being ‘alone’, I know that every single face in that crowd is with me in this journey.
Seconds pass to minutes then to hour. One, Two, Three. I never really felt tired. The crowd hummed then sung “Ang Bayan ko” twice so that we will never notice the duration of time passing. We stood there patiently waiting for the arrival of our president, to pay respect before she was laid to rest... forever.
I’ve never been to any EDSA revolution. I was too young to go the first, I only learned about it from school, print media, internet and television (every time its anniversary is celebrated). To the second one, I was at home. So it’s my first taste of this kind of ‘gathering’. I was in awe, seeing hundreds if not thousands of people in the same place for one person. There’s this overwhelming feeling of anticipation in the crowd.
When the truck carrying Cory’s casket finally reached the gates of Manila Memorial where I stood, I saw history passing by me... people chanted : “Cory, Cory, Cory!” while raising their hands either with laban sign or yellow ribbons tied to it. There is a feeling of general elation. One can’t help but do the same.
Seeing right before my eyes, Filipinos shoulder to shoulder –rich or poor, young or old, male or female- is priceless. It makes me feel proud to be a Filipino. Seeing that we can still be united if we willed to
I think I have felt and witnessed what other’s call “Cory Magic”
May the president rest in peace
2 comments:
Finally tried the email your blog post eh? ^^
Cory may have had a bad presidential term but no one can argue that she was a good person. Now the pressure is on the remaining living ex-presidents to achieve this kind of mass adoration.
at mag-co-comment na....
i doubt kung may papantay dun or hihigit pa. you wont see me on Erap's funeral.lol
speaking of erap, habang nanunuod kami ng TV, nagpapalitan kami ng erap jokes...
bat sya naka-shades sa loob ng simbahan? para pwedeng makaligtas sa pagtulog, tapos pag di niya naiintindihan yung sandamak mak na english... itatanong nya kay Loi at marami pang iba... loves namin si erap eh :P
Post a Comment